Saturday, June 13, 2009

"No, No, No, Ta, Ta, Ta"

First some background info. It has been my experience that when toddlers arrive at the age of 2 or so, they are always saying, "no". This use to annoy me, so I determined that my kids would never learn the word "no". Instead I would say "dangerous" or "don't do that", or "play over here". After a while I gave up and started using the word "no". I also use "ta ta" (That's what my mom used while we were growing up).

Well, this afternoon Spencer was playing with a decoration in the livingroom (It wasn't breakable so I didn't mind that he was playing with it). I went over and sat on the couch by where he was playing and pulled the decoration towards me and looked at it. Spencer then said, "No, no, no, ta ta ta." I was suprised put also pleased that he knew what I meant when I told him "no and ta, ta". A little while later, he got something off the couch and handed it to me and then pulled it away and said, "No, no, no, ta, ta, ta".

Okay, so now what do you do when your 15 month old starts to discipline you like this. Even though he won't understand, do I go ahead and tell him, "You don't say that to mommy?" or do I ignore it. If any of you have had similar experiences (If you have kids, I'm sure you have)let me know how you have handled situations where they tell you know.

P.S I'll try to get some pictures up soon. I tried to down load them off the camera to the shared pictures and I couldn't get them from the upload area to the shared pictures, so, I'm waiting for Todd to find the time to help me with this so that I can upload the pictures to the blog.

2 comments:

Heidi Davies said...

In a situation like yours it sounds more like he's just mimicing and playing with you. I'd take it lightly. When he starts saying no and being defiant, I'd be more serious about it.

If Athen's saying "no" to something I ask him to do, I say "yes please" and ask him to listen to Mommy. He gets one warning then he sits in the corner. I'm consistant so he usually complies after the one warning.

Nana said...

Spencer is incredibly smart - I would teach him from the beginning that certain things are and are not okay. Look how quickly he catches on! So I would gently tell him him it's not okay to tell Mommy no. As that old saying goes - it's hard to unring a bell!