Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Kids Ask the Darndest Questions

Lately Spencer and I have been taking morning walks. Yesterday morning a little boy and girl, probably about three or four years old, passed us on their tricycles (Their moms were a ways behind). The little boy, looking at the stroller said, "Is that a new baby?" I said, "Yes." I was not prepared for his next question. He asked me, "Where did you get him?" Not sure how to respond I said, "The county." He then asked why the county gave him to me and I told him because his mom was unable to take care of him. After a little reflection I realized I should have said, "God gave him to me." Would anyone else have answered him differently?

1 comment:

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

That's a tough call, especially with the whole adoption thing coming into play. I think either answer works ok. I probably would've avoided saying that his mommy couldn't take care of him - that might scare a little kid since they don't understand what you mean. Besides, you are his mommy, now. :)
Maybe something along the lines of, "we picked him up from the hospital (or foster home?) because Heavenly Father knew he was ready to join our family." ??? Just a thought!