Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My voice was heard and yours can be too

Yesterday I was at the grocery store again and I saw the same magazine I mentioned in the last post (the picture of Ellen and Portia in wedding attire), displayed right where children could see it. I noticed there was a different store manager so I again expressed my concern. She was very kind about it and told me she felt the same. She then proceeded to turn the magazines around so that the picture would be more difficult for children to see. She also told me that any time I saw something offensive on a magazine I could turn it around so that the back would be facing out. I was also supprised that she said I was the only one she heard mention it. I know there must be other people that shop at that store that feel the same way I do. I know to some, the picture of Ellen and Portia in wedding attire on the front of a magazine might not seem like a big deal but it is. Think about the message it is sending to our children. It sends a message that marriage is not only between a man and a woman. Is that the message we want our children to hear? It's not one I want my children to hear. I know we can't protect them from everything, but we can do our part to protect our children from the things that our within our power to protect them from. Besides, I think the grocery store should be a safe place to take my children. Let's not become complacent. Let's stand up for our morals and beliefs. I'm not trying to sound preachy, but I believe that marriage is between a man and a women and feel strongly about this issure.

No comments: